Monday, March 10, 2014

FRILLY AND FUNKIE STENCIL AND TEXTURE CHALLENGE 2014

The challenges at Frilly and Funkie are always unique and, well, "challenging"!  The task put forth for us to tackle this time may be seen and read about here Stencil and Texture Challenge.

When I read "texture" and then "stencil", I immediately thought of embossing paste.  I decided to do an "extended" tag size so I actually made 2 tags and joined them together.  Using a large tag, I first painted the entire tag with Antique Linen DP and then to create my texture, I used 3 TH stencils and put paste over each one, creating 3 sections.

While all of that was drying, I painted 2 more tags with Antique Linen.  On the first tag, I used a sweet floral background stamp and some Pink EP.  After that, I cut an oval from that tag.  Then, using the third tag, I  did an embossing technique which I learned while participating in Funkie Junkie's 12 tags of Christmas Challenge.  I stamped a diamond pattern with embossing ink over the entire tag and then covered it with clear embossing powder.  I prepared a paint "wash" by adding water to some White Picket Fence DP and sponged the wash over the entire card.  The pattern "comes to life", but is subtle and sweet. I distressed this tag with Pumice Stone DI and the edges with Black Soot DI.


The first textured tag was dry by now and I used Pumice Stone DI and rubbed it all over the tag to bring out the patterns.  The edges were also distressed, but I used Black Soot DI for that.  After I was pleased with the texture tag, I adhered the embossed tag to it.  Next, the oval was attached to the embossed tag.  Now, I had one large tag to decorate.

I recently placed an order to The Funkie Junkie Boutique.  Ordering from the FJ Boutique is so much fun. The way your items are packed is like receiving a gift.  On one of the tiny sacks of goodies in my package, FJ had placed a darling pink rayon bow and button.  This was EXACTLY what I needed for my tag.  Underneath is a small crochet flower.


The only thing left to do was to top the tag and I used some of my new rayon ribbon that I received from FJ.  I wanted to match exactly the color of the ribbon I used at the bottom of the tag.  I used my Tattered Rose DI to dye the ribbon.  It was not an EXACT match but I liked it and used it as the bow for the top.  (Maybe FJ will share with me what color she used to dye her ribbon!)


I made this tag in honor of my dear sweet niece who is expecting a baby girl on March 28th!


Jayne







2 comments:

  1. Oh Jayne this is a joy and your niece will be thrilled to receive it! The layers are delicately coloured and textured and those delightful vintage embellishments work really well together. So pleased you enjoyed receiving your parcel from The Funkie Junkie Boutique too. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three amazing layers of texture and loveliness! This is so sweetly shabby chic and so loaded with stenciling and fabulous textures. I really love the color palette you have assembled, especially the brighter pop of pick for the floral embossed oval. The crocheted flower and the floral wooden button are lovely finishers.

    So, you want my recipe for dying my Funkie Junkie signature seam binding? Okay, here goes, but you will have to reduce it down to your size batch. I make enough to dye about 50 yards at a time. I start with 1/4 cup of water, add the following reinkers: 30 drops of SU's Blush Blossom, and 30 drops of SU's Pink Pirouette, 15 drops of Tim Holtz's Victorian Velvet, 10 Drops of Tattered Rose and 10 drops of Vintage Photo.

    I'm not sure if Stampin' Up still has those two colors or not - they change colors every couple of years, but they probably have something close. I just play around with it until I find a recipe that works for me. Email me with any questions.

    So great to have you playing along at Frilly and Funkie, Jayne!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete